Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympian Feats

Did anyone else see the Olympics opening ceremonies? I did! I have never really been interested in sports, much less the Olympics, but since it's a big deal that it's in China, I wanted to watch the ceremonies. They were simply amazing. All of it was overwhelming on the telly, so I can't even imagine what it must have been like in person. Watch clips if you can find 'em! However, the marching in of the athletes is really, really, really booooring. As in fell-asleep-for-two-hours-boring.

Saturday morning brought another Olympian activity into the house: the Three-Story-Rusted-Stove-Removal-And-Replacement-Relay. We won the gold, natch.

Saturday night brought a few people into the AA* - Miss Wendy fortunately showed up to save my bacon so I didn't have to endure the Extreme Macho-ism that was present all by myself. Thanks, Wendy- you were gloriously Patsyesque! We also formed yet another club: the Half-Heard, Half-Remembered News Club. This club consists of telling each other, in the vaguest terms possible, newsworthy events we sort of heard about during the week. It's almost as good as the Book Club of Never-Read, Never Discussed Literature By Members of The Book Club.

But I think the best part of the WHOLE evening was skunking Miss Wendy at cribbage. Nyah.

Stay tuned- I should have some more incredibly boring posts soon!


*Best DAMN tiki bar in CT

8 comments:

C. Margery Kempe said...

You beat Miss Wendy at cribbage?! Wow -- I bow before you. When is she not gloriously Patsyesque?

I love the Half-Heard, Half-Remembered News Club and will fill out a membership card whenever I get around to it although I'll likely forget to turn it in.

I haven't watched the Olympics since I worked at the '84 games in LA. Too many drunk Australian athletes (wait, that's redundant) and craziness and long hours. I did get to meet Jack Nicholson and hold a real gold medal, though.

CL said...

What extreme Machoism? Were Luke and Bernie getting drunk again? :-D

That's more Machoism than any one woman can stand!

The Queen said...

OK, the only reason I mentioned beating Miss Wendy at cribbage is that it most likely will never happen again.....really.

You got to hold Jack Nicholson's gold medal? So, that's what he's calling it these days....

Extreme machoism was Bernie & Luke (which is Bearable Machoism) +2....and Luke wasn't on top of his drinking game this time. I think Miss Wendy & I drank more than the boys!

Wendy said...

The Queen has left out the point that I had also skunked her in our previous game (and "skunk" is a technical term). But there will be a reckoning, by gosh!

Thanks for hosting, Steph! I had a great time. The "half-heard" club and the book club are sadly the norm throughout most of America. We call it "education."

The Queen said...

Wendy, not only did you skunk me the last time we played, you won ALL 475 games - so I will brag about my meager victory on my blog, thankyouveddymuch.....

C. Margery Kempe said...

Hey, Queen -- I held a gold medal for pistol shooting. It was a woman from Canada who didn't know anyone there, so she was really pleased to have us all gather round and ooh and ahh. Neato!

Oh Wendy, so cynical! I can stay idealistic because our classes don't start until the 25th (argh -- too soon, too soon!).

What's the point of all this education nonsense if we keep turning out people who [fill in the blank with admiring Paris Hilton, voting Republican or buying stiletto heels...blah blah blah]! Oh wait, I've lost my idealism. Damn.

Gene Kannenberg, Jr. said...

May I be considered for the designation "Highest Supreme Master, Nth Degree, In Absentia" of the Half-Heard, Half-Remembered News Club? I think I deserve the position, seeing as how, when I speak, I always manage to forget things like nouns, and verbs, and adjectives, and other... uh... wordy things....

The Queen said...

I think Everyone can belong to the H-H, H-R News Club....in fact, all charter members of the AA* are automatically enrolled! Except Cranky who always knows all the news with all the correct facts. You make the rest of us look bad.... :)




*Best DAMN tiki bar in CT. (Yes, we will have gathering soon...)