Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Letterpress Things

I cannot say enough great things about John Barrett's Letterpress Things in Chicopee, MA. Supplies for letterpresses. Fonts. Beautiful old letterpresses for sale. And there's John himself- patient, friendly & a font (heh heh) of knowledge.

When I contacted John before visiting his place, he told me to bring my little Kelsey press. Good thing, too- he looked at my press, showed Bernie and me what needed to be fixed and gave me more advice and tips than I had anticipated or hoped for!

Kelly McMahon, who has a studio in VT, teaches a class at Letterpress Things.

If anyone out there is interested in the world of letterpress, I recommend starting in Chicopee!

Of course, any visit to Chicopee has to include a visit to the..... Hu Ke Lau

3 comments:

C. Margery Kempe said...

I expect great things from your little letter press! How exciting -- I love this kind of work even if I am hopelessly all thumbs with any kind of actual hands-on work. But I admire folks who are artistic.

Anonymous said...

Huki Lau sounds pretty good RIGHT NOW--good thing we're going to the Asian Bistro Sunday :P

The Queen said...

Well, Kate, I expect great things, too, but we'll just have to make do with whatever I wrestle out of it....

The Asian Bistro is fab, but doesn't hold a candle to the Hukelau....